Labels

Sunday, 19 August 2012

DSDN 112: 200 Words


Leckie April
Covered Gloves

I explored the sense of touch with my interactive object, and the idea that the senses can be confused by an unexpected feeling or experience.
The user puts on a glove, and reaches into the corresponding tin, only to find the object or substance inside the tin doesn’t feel how they would expect it to.
My object is made up of a combination of latex gloves, Velcro strips, wooden rings, cloth gloves and aluminium tins.
I investigated many different substances to go in the gloves, such as jelly, golden syrup, water, and hair gel. None of these substances worked due to issues with melting and movement issues. In the end I settled on tightly packed flour and a thick corn flour and water mixture. I also tried sealing the gloves in many different ways such as melting, taping and gluing, but none of these options sealed the gloves together properly, and caused leaking. I used a large wooden ring, which I stretched the latex gloves over (They are pulled tight enough to seal together effectively), and Velcro strips to prevent the gloves from slipping off.


Instruction
  1. Put glove ‘1’ on.
  2. Examine the contents of tin 1, then reach in and touch the object with the glove on.
  3. Do the same with glove ‘2’ and tin 2.
  4. How does it feel? Is it different to what you expected?


No comments:

Post a Comment